Monday, September 28, 2020

5 Things you should know when moving to Italy from USA

You want to move to Italy, but where to start?

If you are relocating to Italy anytime soon, you know moving to Italy from the USA is not that easy and requires a lot of support.

An international moving involves research, preparation and the support of qualified overseas shippers to ensure your goods arrive safely in your new home destination. To better understanding what it takes to move from the USA to Italy, you’ll find here below five things you should know before starting your international moving.

1. Be legal.

If you are a non-EU citizen, this is very important. After the 90 days, you are allowed by the visa waiver program or tourist visa and you decide to stay in Italy without any proper documents you are illegal – this is regardless of which country you coming from. You must obtain a regular visa before moving permanently to Italy, keep in mind visas are not issued in Italy.

You should go to your nearest Italian Embassy.  Please keep in mind that this procedure will take several weeks to complete so it is better you apply well in advance of the departure date. Americans that are already in Italy without a visa will have to leave Italy so to obtain one before gaining resident status.

As soon as they arrive Americans must obtain a permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno). You can request an application kit from one of the national post offices (Poste Italiane). You can monitor the status of your application by visiting this page of the Portale Immigrazione. As soon as you receive the permit of stay Americans must go to the Anagrafe of the Comune (Vitaly Statistics Bureau) and apply for residency (Certificate di Residenza), this procedure takes one to two months.

3. The cost of living.

Depending on where you would like to live, in a small town or large cities like Rome or Milan, the cost of living changes. In fact, if you decide to live in a small town, it will be less expensive than living in large cities. The average price for a one-bedroom apartment in a large city is around € 850 and up. The food cost is also different depending on which part of Italy you live and also if in the city or in a more countryside area.

6. Household goods.

Within six months of receiving the certificate of residence from the Anagrafe, the household goods may be imported duty-free. A reliable and experienced shipping agent can simplify customs-free importation of household effects.

8. Driving.

A state-issued US license is valid for one year from when you request residency at the town hall, not from when you receive the ok of your residency. Once your residency has been confirmed you have your Italian ID card you should apply at a driving school. The driving school will give you all the material and books you need to study so to take and pass the exam.

Americans registered as residents with the Anagrafe (the local Vital Records Bureau) must apply for an Italian license within one year of the date of registration. Keep in mind, an agreement for reciprocal recognition of drivers’ licenses between Italy and the USA.

In order to obtain the Patente B (car driver license), a person must be at least 18 years old and be in suitable physical condition. You need to provide a medical certificate for eyesight, mental health and physical condition.

The exam consists of a multiple-choice test and only in Italian. You can obtain the learner’s permit (foglio rosa) only when you passed the theory test. Within five months you should take and pass the practical driving test.

Driving license exam requirements:

  • Completed form MC 2112 MEC (available from Motorizzazione Civile offices)
  • Medical health certificate
  • Valid photo identification
  • At least one photocopy of an existing license (if applicable)
  • Proof of residency (Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno) and photocopy
  • Three passport photographs that match the photograph on the medical certificate, not more than 6 months old
  • Application fee

9. Your Car.

Every EU and non-EU citizen planning to bring their foreign-registered car to Italy must register their car within 12 months of becoming an Italian resident with the Italian authorities. This process is very long and involves lots of efforts especially if your vehicle does not comply with the European laws.

A car can be imported duty-free within six months of receiving the certificate of residence from the Anagrafe and if owned for a period of more than one year.

If you are planning to take your car from USA to Italy you should also consider if that is worth it and depends on whether the equivalent make and model can be bought locally for similar money and also the maintenance. For instance, a Mustang or similar muscle car style of US car are not that common on Italian roads.  Please also keep in mind that insurance companies are not usually willing to insure a foreign-registered car, so you definitely should register your car.

Happy Moving!



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read