The city of Farmington Hills is one of the best income earners and the safest cities in Oakland County in the state of Michigan. It also ranks as among the safest cities in the US. It is often mistaken to be its neighbor Farmington because of the similarity in their names but the two are actually independent of each other. The city was named after Farmington, New York. It first began as Quakertown because Arthur Power, the man who is considered as founder of the city, was a Quaker. Then, the post office was created and it was named as Farmington. When it was time for the area to be incorporated as town, the residents picked “Farmington” as the name of the village. By the time the place was ready to become a city, the name chosen was already Farmington Hills.
- The city of Farmington Hills ranked as 30th safest city in America in 2010. It is also consistently recognized as the safest in the state of Michigan.
- The public school system of the city and its neighbor Farmington is called as the Farmington Public Schools. This is also consistently considered as among the best and top rated public schools systems in Michigan.
- The city covers a sprawling area of 33.3 sq mi (86.2 km2), none of which is comprised of water bodies.
- Farmington Township was incorporated in 1867 as a village.
- It was in 1973 that the place incorporated as Farmington Hills. It is comprised of Farmington Township plus the villages of Wood Creek Farms and Quakertown.
Those who wish to have the best of conveniences in Farmington Hills should stay in a hotel within the downtown area. Of course, should the traveler want to save up on accommodation budget, there are plenty of affordable hotels in the area, offering cheaper hotel rooms that are still comfortable and equipped. Motel 6 Detroit N.W. – Farmington Hills and Knights Inn Farmington Hills are great for traveling on a lower budget. There are actually plenty of hotels to choose from in the city, with big names such as Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Farmington Hills and Candlewood Suites Detroit – Farmington Hills often coming up as top favorite among travelers. Book your Farmington Hills Hotels with Reservations.com.
Exploring the City
Farmington Hills is really a wonder to explore considering that is covers a very large area of land. The good news is that public transport is easy to come by. Also, one could always rent a car to be able to explore the city best. There are a number of parks and outdoor spaces to explore in Farmington Hills, the largest of which is Heritage Park which is also the largest in the county. Of course, you should not forget to explore the downtown area with its boutiques, cinemas, shopping malls, and various art galleries.
Best Dining Spots
A trip to any place, even Farmington Hills, will never be complete unless travelers sample the food options in the area. For those who are in this city for whatever purpose, try the food at the favorite dining spots such as Ginopolis’ Bar-B-Q Smokehouse whose grilled food options are simply the best in town. For tasty Italian food, try Antonio’s Cucina Italiana or John Cowley & Son’s for great Irish and other food options.